In this episode of “People’s Party With Talib Kweli,” Kweli and Jasmin Leigh sit down with legendary DJ, producer, multi-instrumentalist, and rapper:
The Bad Kid, The Beat Konducta, The Loop Digga, Quasimoto…
We were privileged enough to get a rare interview with one of the most elusive legends in hip-hop. Here’s what we discussed:
• Using music to steer clear of gang-life in his hometown of Oxnard, CA.
• His family’s deep roots in Jazz music.
• Brother rapper/producer Oh No and Madlib’s first group Lootpack.
• Being influenced by the works of Melvin Van Peebles.
• Working under his alias of Quasimoto.
• His mystical musical connection with J Dilla and his love of MF Doom.
• Talib and Madlib working together on ‘Liberation’.
• Getting to remix his favorite Blue Note Records’ tracks for ‘Shades Of Blue’.
• Making ‘Auditorium’ with Mos Def and ‘The Healer’ with Erykah Badu.
• Producing the entire ‘Black Star II’ album.
• Working with Freddie Gibbs on ‘Piñata’ and ‘Bandana’.
• Madlib’s friendship with Mac Miller.
• Why a producer’s equipment isn’t important and the power of an iPad.
• The eclectic vision of his project ‘Sound Ancestors’.
• DJs having the easy path to becoming great producers.
• Madlib gives us his top 5 producers.